What is "Top Folate" and what it is used for.
"Top Folate" contains (6S)-5-methyltetrahydrofolate (MTXF), patented under the name Quatrefolic®. Quatrefolic® does not require metabolism because it is identical to the bioactive form of folic acid in the body. It is a pure and stable glucosamine salt of Methyltetrahydrofolic acid. (6S)-5-Methyltetrahydrofolate (MTXF) is of fundamental importance in the metabolic processes of the body.
- This bioactive folate is up to seven times more bioavailable than folic acid. It is particularly important for people with a genetic deficit of folic acid metabolising enzymes because it does not need to be converted to become metabolically active.
- In addition to genetic defects, the transformation of folic acid into the active form of folate may be compromised by both physiological stress and inappropriate lifestyle.
- Unlike folic acid, 5-MTHF like Quatrefolic® can cross the blood-brain barrier, which is particularly important for people with cognitive impairment as it helps with the enhancement of acetylcholine (a memory-associated neurotransmitter) synthesis in the brain.
- Healthy diets with adequate intake of 5-MTHF Quatrefolic® can reduce the risk of having a child with spinal cord defects. Research in recent years has shown the benefits of reduced folate forms over folic acid.
- The use of reduced folate forms (reduced and methylated) is imperative in people who can not assimilate and metabolize folic acid from food and food supplements.
Recommended daily dose: 1 capsule “Top Folate” a day or as directed by your doctor.
Recommended intake time: Between meals.
Duration of intake: Best results are obtained with continual use.
Side Effects and Contraindications: To date, no side effects are known from Quatrefolic® use.
*Quatrefolic® is a registered trademark of Gnosis S.P.A.